Peppermint oil consists of between 28 and 48 percent menthol, which is very stimulating but also, soothing to tired muscles after a day of strenuous activity or sports. Peppermint oil is and energizing pick me up or a cooling down after a heavy workout. Here are 10 uses for Peppermint oil you will want to try!
1. Cool down after a workout session or heavy activity – Add two drops of Peppermint to a cold, damp washcloth and place on the back of your neck, your forehead, or your chest to help cool down after a workout, especially on a hot day. The menthol and menthyl acetate constituents create a nice cooling sensation.
After Workout Cool Down Spray
4-6 drops peppermint
4 oz spray bottle filled with water
Shake and spray as needed.
2. Soothe tired overworked muscles – Peppermint essential oil is one that is really soothing to tired, overworked muscles. It’s a “hot” oil so you can dilute it with 1 drop of Peppermint with 4 drops of V-6 or another carrier if it burns a bit. You can make your own massage oil blends adding Peppermint as one of the ingredients. Here are a couple examples:
Cooling and Soothing blend
4 drops peppermint
3 drops lavender
4 drops cypress
3 drops wintergreen
4 drops marjoram
Mix neat or double quantities in 1 oz V-6 Mixing Oil or Massage Oil Base.
Athletic Muscle Rub
1 Cup Coconut Oil
10 Drops Peppermint
10 Drops Wintergreen
10 Drops Copaiba
Whip and store in container.
DIY Whipped Body Butter
3/4 cup grated cocoa butter
1/4 cup coconut oil
1/4 cup shea butter
1/2 cup almond or jojoba oil
10 drops of Peppermint, or another essential oil
Melt the cocoa butter, coconut oil, and shea butter in a double boiler. When melted completely, stir in almond oil and essential oil until combined. Chill in refrigerator until slightly hardened, about 30 minutes. Whip with mixer until smooth and creamy, about 5-10 minutes, then store in glass jar.
3. Add Peppermint to your water – Add a drop or 2 of Peppermint Vitality to your drinking water for an energizing boost after a workout or a day of hard work. Very refreshing way to cool down after exercising.
4. Support digestion – Add a drop or two of Peppermint Vitality to a glass of water or a cup of tea to support normal digestion and help with gastrointestinal discomfort. Massage a couple drops of Peppermint oil on the abdomen to support normal digestion and reduce feelings of discomfort after large meals.
5. Soothing Gel – Add a few drops each of Peppermint and Lavender to aloe vera gel for a soothing after sun cool down.
6. Take it on the go – Keep Peppermint in your purse for some simple self-care on the go. You never know when you
7. Freshen stinky workout gear – Smelly gym bag or stinky shoes? Mix 2 ounces of water and 6 drops of Peppermint in a spray bottle to freshen it up! Add Purification or Lemon for an extra boost of freshness.
8. Invigorating bath – Add 5 drops of Peppermint directly to bathwater and enjoy an invigorating soak.
9. Massage on location – Massage several drops of Peppermint oil on the area of discomfort to support muscles and joint. Massage Peppermint oil on joints.
Massage on feet – Massage several drops of Peppermint oil on the bottom of your feet to soothe after a long day on standing or walking. Mix Peppermint oil in a footbath to relieve sore feet. Keep water agitated while soaking feet.
Peppermint essential oil is one of the oils in the Young Living Premium Starter Kit. To get started with Premium Starter Kit, click here.